As an avid rider of an urban folding bike for my work commute (and just plain fun), I totally enjoy reading about the exciting and eye-catching technological advances that are rapidly taking place in folding bicycle design. Recently, while perusing the Folding Cyclist, I learned about a new full-sized folding bike from Finland. Above and below are some images of this amazing full-sized folding bike produced in the scenic city of Vaasa, on the west coast of Finland – the FUBi.
Touted as the “world’s most compact bike,” it certainly appears to live up to its name (see second photo below). The styling and design are very impressive, as well. The specs from the FUBi website are provided following the photographs.
- “Frame: Titanium 9kg, FUBi collapsible frame consisting of 7 different frame parts, loose free pivots to accommodate folding and extra diagonal part for stability, quick release on chain stay /saddle stay connection and on diagonal connection.
- Fork: FUBi fork with integrated head tube.
- Headtube: FUBi special and integrated with front fork by the bearing assembly.
- Botton bracket: No traditional bottom bracket cassette! The bottom bracket bearings are directly fitted in the frame, with a straight crank axis through.
- Derailleur: FUBi Fast Shift derailleur, 7 or 9 gears.
- Casette: 13-28t, 11-34t, 7 or 9 gears
- Saddle: Open
- Post: Open
- Handlebars: FUBi crossing and dividable handlebar.
- Brakes: Rim brakes, FUBi H type brake calipers, movable on fork to accommodate different sized rims.
- Wheels: Rim 622, tire 23-622(700x23C). Rim 584, tire 35-584. Rim 559, tire 42-559
- Hubs: FUBi hubs and without moving parts, M12 R on the right side, M10L on the left side. 36 or 32 spokes.
- Crank set: Open, 48t or 52t chain ring”