In 2012, the tenth anniversary of a solemn event will take place worldwide on Wednesday, May 16th at 7:00 pm local time. The Ride of Silence began in Dallas, Texas and honors those who have lost their lives or been injured by motor vehicles while riding their bicycles. Aside from honoring the fallen, the ride is meant to be a peaceful way of protesting the disdain too often shown towards bicyclists by drivers. The mission of the Ride of Silence is:
“The mission of the world-wide Ride of Silence is to honor bicyclists killed by motorists, promote sharing the road, and provide awareness of bicycling safety.”
Here in Greater Lansing, the Ride of Silence begins on the Michigan State University Campus and concludes at the State Capital. Similar rides will occur throughout the United States and in countries across the globe.
Here’s just a brief summary of the scope of the event in 2011 from the RoS website:
- “322 locations around the planet
- All states and the District of Columbia: 2nd straight year, 3rd year for all 50 states
- 24 countries: down from a high of 26 in 2010 but 4 new countries listed
- 28 Canadian locations: twice as many as 2011!
- All seven continents: 2nd straight year, 3rd year total. (how…. in Antarctica?? Thanks to the Palmer Station for having a Ride (Spin) for Silence, taking turns on an indoor stationary bike)
- 47%: number of locations that posted a follow-up ride report (down from 2009 & 2010)
- 0 words spoken, A million powerful memories.”
Many of us have friends and/or family members who have been killed or injured by motor vehicles while riding their bikes, but that is not a prerequisite for participation. Please consider participating in this important and sobering event on Wednesday, May 16th. In our unified silence, let the impact of our combined resolve be a deafening statement to all.
- Here’s a link to the event details for the Greater Lansing Ride of Silence: http://www.bikes.msu.edu/index.cfm/news-and-events/ros/
- Also, check out this page to locate events around the USA and world: http://www.rideofsilence.org/locations-domestic.php